This week was very busy. I did all of my online shinanigans, including blog posts. I worked with Fiona to create a Prezi to present all the Artemia work. On Monday, we had a Brine Shrimp meeting. During X Block, I finished cleaning tank #1. Ever since we have gotten the new fish, the tank has been filthy.
This week I organized the data that I got from Thanksgiving Holiday. I also Cleaned tank #1, mostly the live rock and abilone. We had two aquarist meetings and began working on a presentation about the Artemia.
This week I took home the Brine shrimp. I was only able to take home two pairs because the others had died. Every day I fed and cleaned their poops. One female was able to give birth to 28 cysts.
On Monday we went on an adventure with Amanda to get Brine Shrimp in Carlsbad. Fiona and I set up our experiment by creating stock solutions in different salinities and separating 6 different shrimp.
The class went to the pier and brought back some new animals for the tank. I acclimated the fish for our class. We put most of the fish in tank # 1 and the crabs in tank #3.
This week for honors I had to contact Dennis in order to get more brine shrimp for our experiment. We set up a time for next Monday to go and get the shrimp. During Xblock on Tuesday I scrubbed tank #1 and set the live rock out to dry. Fiona and I set up our experiment o
This week our Brine Shrimp experiment really set off. Fiona and I put some Brine Shrimp cysts to hatch so we would have a fresh batch to work with. We organized our different salinities of water into more shallow containers to allow more oxygen for the animals. We are testing the births in 30/1000, 60/1000, and 90/1000 salinity. This week the cysts should be hatched and ready to go.
I also organized my task sheet for the rest of the semester.
This week was mostly uneventful in terms of honors work. I fed the fish, and cleaned out brine shrimp containers. On Monday, I had a meeting with Fiona to formally discuss the brine shrimp. Because we were very unclear about the brine shrimp, Fiona and I compiled a list of questions to ask Dennis. We called Dennis and are now set with a better understanding on how to care for the animals. Fiona and I were able to lay out the skeleton of our experiment.
I also went to the pet store with Heather to get frozen Brine Shrimp.
This week I mostly cleaned and fed the aquariums. There has been an issue with the filter, somehow causing a leak so I've been mopping the leaked water with a towel. I tested the water in Tank #2 and PB's tank. PB seems to be deflated and dead looking. I think he died. Two of the feeder fish in tank #2 appear pregnant; I am curios to see if they'll actually lay eggs. Walden and Jerry (Blennys in tank #1) have changed colors. I think that is a sign of stress. Last week, the red slime was removed from the tank. I think that the levels in the water are different and that's why the fish are under distress.
On Monday, Fiona and I will set up our Brine Shrimp Experiment.
This week to our surprise, many of the copepods and brine shrimp were found dead. It has come to my attention that these creatures need daily attention. In attempts to replenish and revive this project, a group meeting was called to organize. I will be working with Fiona to see the best salinity in which the brine shrimp are able to perform live births.
This week I also scrubbed tanks #2 and #3.
I noticed that Peanut Butter has adjusted to his tank. He has now laid eggs twice!
This week, I went to the Carlsbad Aqua farm. Dennis, who is one of the managers of the farm, came in on Wednesday to talk to us about copepods and brine shrimp. We will be performing experiments with the brine shrimp and copepods to see find the best way that they reproduce.
We also have a new member to our aquarium, Peanut Butter. Peanut Butter is a Lion Mane Nuetebranch.